Thursday 10 May 2012

Hairdressing Hero!



Have just read the news and learnt of the sad death of one of the greatest hairdressing heros who has ever lived.............

VIDAL SASSOON!

This man fundamentally changed the way we style our hair today. He gave women a sence of freedom with their hair and he certainly gave me a massive freedom in my life.

Back in January 1989  my beautiful father drove me  in a very embarressing old Skoda Sportage, which broke down on the end of the M4 from Bristol to the big city lights of London. He checked me into a bed and breakfast in Victoria Square,  took me on the tube to Oxford Street for a Pizza and so wonderfully encouraged me to take every moment to get out and see and live the world.

From there I made my way for the next 5 days to the Vidal Sassoon School of Hairdressing. It was here that I learnt that hairdressing was not just another job, not just about bored housewives with weekly shampoos, blue rinses and sets, but that hairdressing was and is a translation of beauty, an art form, created between stylist and client, an expression of personality and being.

Vidal Sassooon through his teachings of precission cutting, which were reveloutionary in it's time,  encouraged women to be more expressive in their looks and certainly,encouraged me to be a better, more adventurous hairdresser, later that year at the age of 18  I joined the cruise liners and my skills with the scissors to travel the world.

Thank You Vidal....... you created what and who many of us are today.

Sweet Sleep for the Scissors.


No comments:

Post a Comment